View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 09:45 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Need help with Diagnosis

Hi everyone,

I am usually on the spinal forum, but I need help with a diagnosis of TOS.

A quick history on my situation:
I had an cervical fusion in March of this year (2011) C5, C6,C7 but even after almost 9 mths of recovery I am still suffering with nerve compression in my median nerve (wrist) & ulnar nerve (elbow), along with the very painful radiculapathy down my right hand, numbness/tingling in last 2 fingers, horrible pain in my scalene muscle, trap & shoulder, burning neck pain, clumsiness, hand weakness, no fine motor skills in my hand, etc...

I've been back to my neurosurgeon a couple times & mentioned TOS & it was dismissed, instead he said I have a double crush & offered to do an ulnar nerve transposition.

I see my neuro in 2 weeks for him to sign my functional abilities form to decide if I'm able to go back to work (I'm a graphic designer = lots of computer work). Currently I'm on worker's comp and they will want a diagnosis, not just "I'm still in horrible pain and can't do my job". So I really want help to make myself clear to my neuro.

Both my physiotherapist & massage therapist have told me I have TOS, and all my symptoms confirm that.

My questions: How should I approach this with my neurosurgeon to get him to give me a proper diagnosis of TOS when I see him next?
Is there a test I can ask for? What wording should I use?

He just keeps telling me my fusion looks good and the hardware is solid. He sent me for an EMG 2 months ago and it came back with mild compression of both ulnar & median nerve. What else is there for tests?

I really need a proper diagnosis to be able to ask my case manager at worker's comp for more time off or retraining in another area of work.

Help please!!
Thank you
Cathie
cath1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote