View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 01:54 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

hi Ellie here's a hug

So strange that this happend as you were getting off the neurontin. In 1999 I saw a neurologist who die the VEEG and it didn't show a seizure but I had a wierd episode not really like what my normal "episodes were like at the time. I have had all kinds of seizures and at that time was hainvg cmplex partial seizures I think where I would end up paralyzed at the end but aware of what was happening. Previously in my life i had had tonic clonic seizures, petit mal seizures etc. So when they did the VEEG they took me off all of my meds cold turkey and I went into withdrawal. I was on amytriptyline for FMS and prozac for depression and the neurontin and I think one other but not sure. It was hell. But after I got through that I started having restless legs syndrome. Now I know that that is a common syndrome associated with FMS but the fact that it happened after I had been taken off the neurontin made me think it was caused by the neurontin or rather the taking off of it.

Also, i did lose t least 40 pounds when I got off of it. Now I'm on it again and have gained weight again--sigh. but it sure helps the FMS pain as does the cymbalta i'm on. I knw this isn't a fibro forum but I noticed you also have it and amytriptylene will also cause weight gain. at the time that I was taken off of everything they ended up putting me on trazodone instead and it works better. Only problem is there is a very tiny chance of it causing seizures which is why my doc now is trying to get me off of it and just use the clonazepam for sleep. My problem is that while the clonazepam helps it doesn't fully work.

Although it does suck that you have epilepsy , I'm glad it was caught on the first eeg you had! i have only had on positive one and that was back when I was 13. I now have tonic clonic seizures again. But that is another story

Take care and I hope your med helps you. We all react to medications differently so this could be the right one for you or you may need to have more than one. I personally can't take depakote(rash all over) and mysoline(hallucinations and severe vertigo) And several other just didn't work like tegretol and the fist one I was on was dilantin and it stopped working while in high school. so, there is always a chance that you may have to change meds over time or in the beginning if this one isn't working. i know it is a major pain but they will find the right one for you so don't give up hope and know that many others have gone through this and are here for you Take care,
Sara
numbum46 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote