View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 11:54 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

QUOTE=Susanne C.;828997]This is very hard to write, but I am speaking from experience both with my mother, who was a chronic complainer whose three daughters were completely estranged from her because of the endless drama, and as a mother of five with a deteriorating chronic pain condition: find someone else to talk to. Write down the worst parts of your day in a journal, pour out your heart and desire to be completely understood in writing and try to keep your health out of the majority of your conversations with your family. Fight to preserve some normalcy in your relationships with your children and husbands.

Hopeful, the scenario you describe, where your daughter tunes you out, is very real. We certainly did it with my mother. I don't think it matters to the children if the ailments are real or imaginary, they don't want to hear it. We have a strong need to be understood, and it is natural to seek it from those nearest to us, but it puts too great a stress on those relationships. find a support group or buy a journal, come to this site often. Spill it here, and face your family as a woman with more to her than her illness. I know that it is hard when your body is screaming at you every moment, but it is worthwhile.[/QUOTE]

Hi Susanne, I think that is good advice. I am going to give it a try. I think they are also not use to me not being able to cope. They grew up with me being in charge. I was the one that ran the roost (as my mom would say) they are not use to seeing me not be able to be the person I was. As I write I think it just dawned on me that I need to give in and find a new me. Should we do that? I still won't give into the fact that this is here to stay. Maybe I need to face this and find the new me. I just don't want to give up the old me. I liked her. I was so active and healthy. Managed to work full time, get my undergrad and then my masters. The only part I think I know was good for me with this disease is that it forced me to slow down. It also gave me a different perspective on my husband. We are so much closer now, still have our moments, but nothing like before. I just realized the marriage part of this has made my children much happier. They are with us all the time even though they are grown. I guess there are somethings to be thankful with neuropathy?
The reason why I try not to come here and talk about how bad or sad I am is because, I don't want to bring anyone else down. All of you have enough of your own stuff happening.
Again, thanks Susanne, I realize I went off topic but I am going to try your advice. I am sure it won't be easy because neuropathy is such a huge part of me. Sometimes I feel like it is me. Not good.
Hopeful
hopeful is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
adelina (12-01-2011)