View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 05:27 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Make sure you prepare your house before the surgery. Try to put as many things as possible mid-level, not too high or low because that will be the easiest to reach. So if you could anticipate chores or things you'll need to do during the coming weeks as well, you could try to think up ways now to work around them, and that way you could "practice". For example, one thing that I realized before was that I would not be able to reach down into my clothes hamper to pull clothes out of it so I had to find a new temporary one to use for now at a higher level. Or I moved cups down that are on a high shelf so I could reach them when I was alone.

Can you squat? If so, this will help you in picking up things that are low. I'd also recommend squatting practice to build up the strength in your legs these few days before the surgery. You can also go into a lunge position to get things lower as well if that is physically possible for you. A reacher/grabber is also a great idea and I'm sure would come in very handy.

Also, just be aware and be careful. I'm 4 weeks out from my surgery today and what I'm struggling with now is that since my back is less painful and my movement is more normal, I find it harder than ever to obey the restrictions, and there are still some times that I'm just not thinking and start to to twist or make some other forbidden movement before I remember. This is a big reason why my doctor gave me an abdominal binder to wear as well- to make me more aware of my movements.

It's definitely daunting to hear about these restrictions and how long you have to follow them. It was one of the biggest things I was worried about. But soon you'll get into a rhythm and find out what works for you and what doesn't, and then things will go more smoothly. Best of luck!!
yellow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (12-01-2011), ron h (12-05-2011), Rrae (12-02-2011)