View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 04:54 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi folks. I also am new to this forum, new to this disease, and new to IVIg. My situation is a little different. I have several kinds of neuropathy due to a rare non-Hodgkin's lymphoma called Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia (don't blame me - I didn't name it). WM is a very rare, very slow, incurable but treatable cancer. I am evidently rare in several ways. Rare cancer, rare presentation (neural pain), and rare combination of neuropathies (peripheral neuropathy, small fibre neuropathy, and multifocal motor neuropathy). Aren't I just too lucky.

I thought I'd say hi and introduce myself briefly. I just finished my very first IVIg treatment yesterday. It seemed to go well. I got tired today easily but hope this might do a couple of things for my situation. My doc talked about it might not only help the MfMN (likely) but also keep my body from producing the mutant IgM antibodies that define this cancer (and are attacking my nerves directly - also likely).

Anyway, as I said I'm new here and actually just found this forum today when I did a search on MfMN. I know that community is critical for people in our situation even if our situations vary. And people who have a clue by having the same or a similar disease are always easier to talk to since they understand on a physical level. I guess I'll sign this with my WM talk list signature (with legend).

Bret **
57 - Phoenix, AZ (Tempe)
Dx - 12/09, IgM - 420 (6/11), PN+SFN
Rx4(12/10-1/11) failed to reduce neuropathies
(R+Dex+Cytoxan)x2(5/11-6/11) increased neuropathies
(R+Dex)x2(6/11-7/11) increased neuropathies
PPx8(8/11 twice weekly) reduced SFN dramatically, stopped PN advance
PPx12(9-11 once weekly) attempting PN reduction(stopped before last four)
11/11 nerve conduction study showed motor nerve involvement
IVIg x3+(11/11)

(Dx = Diagnosis, PN = Peripheral Neuropathy, SFN = Small Fibre Neuropathy, R = Rituxan, Dex = Dexamethasone, PP = Plasmapheresis)

Last edited by Koala77; 12-02-2011 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Privacy reasons
Bret is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote