View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Thumbs up Good Advice Mate's!

Hey Pippy! They pretty much covered the bases! What a wonderful crew!

Try not to get too nervous as the date approaches. Keep reminding yourself of how you feel (physically) and what you hope and expect to obtain by getting this unit. As a matter of fact, here is what I did and I was glad for it.
I wrote myself a 'letter' explaining in detail of how bad off I was prior to getting the SCS. I explained every physical pain and what it was like to live like that 24/7. I explained what this did to me mentally and that I wasn't able to do things with my family. I would just sit on the couch and watch my peeps coming and going. It was heartbreaking.
I tucked that letter away because I somehow 'knew' that there would come a day when I would try to second-guess myself as to 'why' I got the unit. In case there was a 'bad' day that would roll around and I might try to convince myself that I made a mistake by getting it. Or if recovery from the surgery was too painful that I would weenie out and regret it.
Indeed it worked. I referred to the letter a few times and I know from the bottom of my heart that my life is much MUCH better now!
Sure, it seems a bit 'creepy' to have this thing in me, but as time went by I became very grateful for it. And I would make fun of it with my friends and crack jokes about it - just to keep the atmosphere light and have a sense of humor.
Now I'm not sitting on the couch watching people come and go....I have a LIFE!

Ok, enuf of the philosophical preaching

As you go thru a normal day prior to surg, just take note of your routine and make things easily accessible (waist high) on counters, etc, like the others have mentioned.
And I'm sure someone has mentioned the 'Reacher/Grabber' doo-hickey, yes?
I STILL use mine to pick up dirty socks from my twin son's rooms......not because I can't 'bend'....
..but because I can't bear to TOUCH the stinky things!!

You're gonna do just fine, I just know it!

Rae
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (12-02-2011), ron h (12-05-2011)