View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 04:46 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyK View Post
Kenjhee,

I can really relate to what you wrote. I am at 22months past my accident, and one of the most frustrating symptoms that I have is what you described: the unrelenting fatigue and the achy muscles.

It is the first time that I remember seeing someone write about this. I have other symptoms as well, but the fatigue is something that scares me, because from everything that I read, I thought that it was supposed to get better and go away by at least a year. Doctors do not seem to understand it.

I did not really understand what you wrote about the mechanism that causes this, but I am grateful that you brought this up. If you don't mind, could you explain it in simpler terms so that I might get it. Also, is this a theory, or is there some place to read about it?

Thank you for bringing this up.

ShellyK
Thank you, Shelly. No, this is a personal theory I am still developing (so glad I majored in Biology now). I have not seen it anywhere else, although it might be. Roger on the lack of discussion on this specific aspect of TBI-induced Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I believe it is much more prevalent amongst TBI survivors than would be indicated by the lack of mentioning. Generalized symptoms like pain and fatigue tend to get glossed over, even by the people who suffer from it. Perhaps I will be the one to change that.

I don't wish to scare you or anyone else, but my brain injury was 35 years ago, and I have struggled with the myalgia/fatigue thing ever since. I now take a heavy schedule of opiate pain meds to control the pain, and even then there is considerable breakthrough pain. However, the past few years the fatigue has lightened considerably, to the point I can at least function to some degree (and I am one of those CFS sufferers who has known extreme fatigue, like spending a night shivering from cold because my arm didn't have enough energy to pull a blanket up higher). So there is still hope.

I will definitely expound a bit on my thoughts if you like, in fact I think I should open a separate new discussion. Give me a chance to collect my thoughts, and I will repost as soon as I can.

Kenjhee
Kenjhee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ShellyK (12-02-2011)