View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 12:27 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Clegs,

I will certainly try to help........

First, your situation is the perfect example of what I have been preaching on this site about root canaled teeth and infection. Not all infections will necessarily show up on xrays or CT scans or even in blood work until they have proliferated and started to compromise the immune system. It really doesn't matter if they show up or not because all root canaled teeth are infected, as you have found out with this tooth.

Ten days of antibiotic may not be enough to eradicate the infection. I would consult with the oral surgeon, have him take an xray and evaluate the area clinically. You may need to see the ENT again also for a sinus scan. I have had patients who had to go on IV antibiotics, some even pic lines, to deal with the oral infection. This is why I keep harping on the systemic risks associated with oral infections primarily from root canaled teeth. It can become very serious.

It is hard to tell if other teeth are involved because an infected sinus will cause pressure and pain in all of the teeth in that area. By any chance.... do you have any other root canaled teeth in that quadrant??

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by clegs View Post
Hi Bryanna,

Just wondering if I can also get some dental advice from you? I had a root canal on my farthest back molar six months ago. All of my molar roots go right into my sinus and I had a chronic sinus throb on that side for the next five months. After multiple dentists, endodontists, x-rays, CT scan and visit to and ENT, nobody could tell me what was wrong and all said there was no infection. Ten days ago I decided to have the tooth extracted and sure enough, it was infected right to the base of the sinus and sinus exposed. I was put on 10 days of antiobiotics (finished now) and have been taking good care of it. The site of extraction itself seems to be healing well but I am still having the throbbing pain around the other molars in the area and into my sinus.

From reading many of these threads, it sounds like maybe there is more infection or perhaps more infected teeth. How do I find this out definitively when nothing is showing up in xrays, CT or blood work? And what are my options if more teeth are involved? I just don't know who to go to any more. The extraction was done by an oral surgeon and he seemed to think it would heal fine. Maybe I;m just rushing it? It has only been 10 days.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote