View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Clegs,

Ok, good that you don't have any other root canaled teeth and it sounds like your other teeth are pretty healthy. So hopefully at this point the infection from that (extracted) tooth had not spread too much further and your discomfort/pressure is coming this one area.

Yes, any oral infection can spread throughout the mouth... as well as into the throat, digestive system, the sinus, the brain and any major vital organ. So it is imperative to remove the source of the infection as soon as possible and not allow it to brew and proliferate as in the case of all root canaled teeth and uncontrolled periodontal disease.

You are wise to read up on subjects like osteonecrosis, cavitations and removal of the periodontal ligament. All or some of which can occur depending on how far the infection has spread... how well the surgery was performed to remove it and how healthy the immune system is of the patient.

I will reiterate my suggestion for you to see your oral surgeon so he can evaluate the site clinically and radio-graphically. Do not be shy in asking him if he removed the ligament and what his thoughts are on the risk of developing a jawbone infection from a lingering sinus infection that was caused by this infected root canaled tooth.

There are many different scenarios that can happen, but I don't want to overwhelm you with this stuff as you might not have to be concerned about any of that. Let's first see what the surgeon says..... ok?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by clegs View Post
Hi Bryanna,

Thanks so much for your reply. I don't have any other root canals in the area (or in my mouth for that matter) although the tooth directly adjacent to the extraction has a shallow filling. Otherwise, there aren't any fillings on that upper half.

I will happily go back on antibiotics if that might help clear up the infection I guess my worry is just the thought of it spreading to other teeth. But if they are seemingly healthy teeth (as mine are), can an infection spread up through the jaw bone and down into a tooth with no opening (crack, fracture, etc)? And what would be the diagnosis/treatment for this?

The other thing I've read a little about is jaw cavitation, osteonecrosis and the concern over whether the periodontal ligament was removed with the extraction? Can you shed any light on this and whether or not I should be concerned?

Thanks again for your help!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote