View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 06:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoun1e View Post
Outside of meditation and diaphramic breathing, what else can one do here to relax? I wish there was an "off" button I could press that just shut down my brain and body for two days.
I have some thoughts on this subject.

-- A variation on meditation is to use a guided audio. With the right speaker and right background music, the meditation for relaxation purposes can be really powerful. Right now I'm loving the iPhone/iPad app "Infinite Relaxation". The "Infinite" refers to the fact that they recombine script parts so that no two sequences are the same. You can use a slider to control the time and there is an option to end with awakening or sleeping. Throw in some noise cancellation headphones and you're close to having an off button, although it may take 20 mins to press. I even used it at a poker game once.

-- Mini-meditations have been very useful for me. Typically I go for 8 - 10 breaths. I can squeeze this into bits of my day and keep my stress down to begin with.

-- Changing how I deal with the world has been helpful. When I was younger, I stressed about outcomes too much. Now I go with the flow while still doing my job. If that's hard to do, as it was for me, there are books on the subjects with exercises, tips, etc. but obviously an investment will be required.

-- Through various career choices I have managed to keep my responsibilities reasonable while still making good money. I've sometimes turned down jobs that I thought were stress makers and time suckers without a matching increase in remuneration.

-- Like TOS, there is no silver bullet or button. But probably more than with TOS, there are things that are known to work and work well.

HTH
chroma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote