Thread: Nerve Block?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 06:25 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drp. View Post
Dear Penny22,

Nerve blocks are meant to be diagnostic tests, not treatment modalities. In other words, they function like, for example, an MRI. If an MRI is performed to see if someone has a tumor and the MRI shows that they do, this result and knowledge has not fixed the problem, only provided more information to the treating physician who can then decide how to manage the patient accordingly. Similarly a nerve block will demonstrate several things. For example, when a particular nerve is blocked and the pain goes away,it can suggest that the nerve which was blocked is the source of pain. It MAY also suggest that the nerve in question is injured at the site of the block itself. Sometimes, the local anesthetic (which will only last a few hours at the most as in your case) in a nerve block is also combined with a steroid medication (i.e. an anti-inflammatory) to try and reduce any inflammation of the nerve. While this addition may be helpful in improving symptoms, it is often ineffective and at best temporary. While it may last a few weeks or even months, the symptoms eventually return. On rare occasions, the results may be permanent, but physicians do not know why this occurs as there is no physiological explanation for how that would occur. In addition, inappropriately placed steroid injections can cause a lot of damage if they are injected into the nerve itself or too superficially in the skin.

In the case of meralgia paresthetica, there are numerous studies which demonstrate that the nerve in question is compressed physically. This compression can be because of a tight canal through which the nerve is passing, a swollen nerve or some combination of both. I don't know if it is possible on this forum, but if so, I could show you examples of nerves in patients with MP which are compressed at the beginning of the case and decompressed at the end. No amount of local or steroid will achieve that result. Secondly, surgery is the only way I know of to remove the physical compression safely and permanently because you can actually see and protect the nerve you are releasing in order to do so safely. Hope this information is helpful.

Drp.
Dear Drp.
Thank you for the valuable info.
Actually This is my fourth week with MP which I got because of bilaterlal laparoscopic hernia repair with mesh and absorbable staples.
While my neurologist says the pain may go by itself, I've read an article that advises to do a nerve decompression surgery as soon as possible and favorably no more than 12 weeks after the abdominal surgery to increase the chances of success of the decompression operation and avoid permanent nerve damage.

I am currently trying to know which surgeon specialty is best qualified to do such operations, is it neuro surgeons or plastic surgeons?
I also think that my condition is much better than when I woke up from my surgery but I am still feeling the burning and getting the acute pain when I move my leg in certain positions so should I wait or not?

Your help is much appreciated.
niazi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote