View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 03:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
Mike,

Is CRPS known to have an effect on adrenal hormones (particularly pregnenolone)? I ask because pregnenolone, in recent years, has been touted for improving/restoring cognitive function, though no credible studies have yet supported this claim. I would not recommend/suggest anyone try it without being deficient in the hormone, and without having their doctors' blessings.

I've been taking it because I am deficient, and have my doctor's ok, and it has measurably improved my short-term memory and cognitive function. (Test scores before/after improved 20-25%).

Just a "FWIW"....

Doc
Good question. While there is a relationship between the adrenal hormones and CRPS, I believe it runs in the opposite direction of what you're thinking about.

Stress triggers the release of cortisol which in turn results in selective vasoconstriction/dilation to empower those muscles necessary to propel the body to either move quickly out of the way of danger or do whatever what has to be done. Sort of like Powdermilk Biscuits. In any event, it's the vasoconstriction, on top of what's already going on with the CRPS, that can create immediate pain spikes under emotionally stressful conditions. See, generally, Regulation of peripheral blood flow in complex regional pain syndrome: clinical implication for symptomatic relief and pain management, Groeneweg G, Huygen FJ, Coderre TJ, Zijlstra FJ, BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2009 Sep 23;10:116, online text @ http://www.biomedcentral.com/content...474-10-116.pdf

But in terms of whether CRPS can alter the production of pregnenolone, when I ran a PubMed search under "pregnenolone CRPS" I came up with zero hits. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Mike

- Walt Whitman
fmichael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote