View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 08:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hey, Bobthebuilder (Yes We Can!

Just saw this. I wish this site had higher traffic; I guess it doesn't because people like me realize it doesn't have high traffic and don't come back......which is a bummer! Because it's an important topic.

Anyway...... like I said in your other thread.......I have Hashimoto's, too. The treatment is to fix the *hypo* state of your thyroid hormone.. in other words, to increase your T4 (which converts to T3, the active form of the hormone). So you're right in the sense that it doesn't matter the *cause* of the hypothyroidism for treatment. However, it's helpful to be aware that you have an autoimmune disease for exactly what you discovered.....that you're at higher risk for having other autoantibodies and, therefore, other health complications. Like you, I have had positive ANA, SSb (for Sjogren's), anticardiolipin....

Having said that.......I haven't been treated "differently" because I have the autoantibodies. However, as I said in your other thread, both high dose steroids given to me in the hospital and tapered down over the course of the following month, and cortef given to me for a diagnosis of adrenal insufficiency, have BOTH helped resolve or stave off neurological problems. So my doctors are now wondering if the cortef has actually helped with unidentified autoimmune problems (something that's been messing my brain). This is a story that is "to be continued" because I don't yet know the answer to this, or how they "collectively" will deal with me on this. So keep posting and sharing, cuz I'm still learning too!
Friedbrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote