View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 10:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Sudden onset of bilateral paresthesia in forearm/hand when waking up

First off, I am a 25 yo male.

Few weeks ago I started having an issue where nearly every morning I wake up with tingling and numbness from my elbow and down in one or both hands. After waking up, it typically goes away anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes of moving the arm.

But there have been a few occasions where it lasted hours to all day. On the days it lasted awhile, I noticed there was no real pattern as to the nerve effected, the first time it lasted a prolonged period it was the pinky and ring finger on my right hand, the second time it was the pointer and middle finger.

Unless it is a prolonged effect from waking up, it doesn't bother me, the onset is never while I'm awake. However, yesterday I did go work out for the first time in a long time, and I noticed I had a lot of joint popping/creaking than normal, in the wrist, elbow and shoulder (right more than left). And when doing pushups, I noticed a strange pressure/pain on the heel of my right hand under thumb, that made them uncomfortable.

Again, this wasn't a slow buildup, a few weeks ago it was just like bam, bilateral paresthesia, I've never had any problems prior. I went to a walk-in clinic and they pretty much just rushed me out the door with nothing but a prednisone rx, and I wont be able to see a regular doctor until after finals, so wanted to see what you guys thought about this issue.

I take no other medications except tretinoin for acne, and currently treating a case of jock itch with lamictal cream.
zebus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote