View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Heart

Heyyyyyyy Curly!

it's nice to see you. i've been wondering where you disappeared off to. i have been here in spurts the past few days... mostly i haven't been here in spurts, i should say. having problems... but, i digress.

i am not a fan of Ambien personally, but 5 mg is a real small dose and if it works for you, then i see no problems. i have had problems with it such as anterograde amnesia (which really messes with your head!) but i was being given 10 or 20 mg depending, and it was with concomitant use of another benzo in doses too high for me. i suspect some of the "sleepwalkers" had anterograde amnesia. i imagine the chances of that also are greater with ambien if one takes alcohol - even a small amount. this is probably why he doesn't like it. that and it is more of hypnotic and less of a muscle relaxer. given Ambien helps you i have to wonder if you have true RLS or if the insomnia drives it.

as for your pdoc i think he got snowed on Requip by some real clever rep or something... argghhh those pharm reps... right up there with lawyers and car salesmen. the starting dosage... with the precautions given i would also challenge that with him.

furthermore, i do NOT like what i am reading on requip at ALL, in general, especially for a bipolar person. it seems much worse than Ambien. definitely if you could go for some Klonopin that would be much better. you shouldn't need to taper from 5mg if it is replaced with Klonopin.

re: the Requip ... talk about risk of mania... it seems to be associated with impulsive/compulsive behavior...

from http://www.drugs.com/requip.html

Quote:
Requip may cause you to fall asleep during normal daytime activities such as working, talking, eating, or driving. You may fall asleep suddenly, even after feeling alert. Tell your doctor if you have any problems with daytime sleepiness or drowsiness. If you are unsure of how this medicine will affect you, be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert. You should not use Requip if you are allergic to ropinirole.

If you have certain conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take this medication. Before you take this medication, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have:

heart disease;

high or low blood pressure;

mental illness or compulsive behaviors;

kidney disease;

liver disease; or

if you smoke.

You may have increased sexual urges, unusual urges to gamble, or other intense urges while taking Requip. It is not known whether the medicine actually causes this effect. Talk with your doctor if you believe you have any intense or unusual urges while taking Requip.
yeah be assertive and let him know you aren't comfortable taking this drug. it IS your body, your brain, and your LIFE.

good luck!

~ waves ~
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (12-06-2011), Mari (12-06-2011), mymorgy (12-07-2011)