View Single Post
Old 03-25-2007, 06:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Prialt

Hi everyone! I'm new to the boards and saw this post. I have had the trial and am awaiting final approval for the pump implant with this med. I've had CRPS for going on 10 years, have 17 blocks, acupuncture, acupressure, guided imagery and other relaxation techniques, TENS and SCS, pool therapy, physical therapy, medications, a spinal cord stimulator implanted with a revision to surgically implant paddles for about 4-5 years along with 4 depleted batteries, desensitizing and whatever else was offered to help ease this monster. My daily pain level is between a 7-8. After the trial it dropped to a 5 for the first time in over a year! Nothing else has eased the pain like this medication has. As usual I had to have another MMPI and that was fine. Their concerns were that any psychological issues would increase or occur. I suffer from major depression and have for 35 years, but that's controlled through medications and talk therapy. I cannot say enough about my experience with this med. I wanted to ensure an accurate reading so I was off all pain meds for about 3 weeks prior to the trial. This was not only the strong prescription pain meds, but the Lyrica and anything else I was taking for the RSD. It wasn't pleasant as I'd been on Fentanyl and Dilaudid/Methadone or Actiq for breakthrough this past year trying to find something that would break the flares, along with the relaxation, etc.

Several of our members from our nonprofit asked I journal my experiences with this as it goes along. With so many members we all felt that were a more appropriate forum to journal these events as opposed to bulk emails as not everyone would be interested. I cannot wait for the pump to be implanted. They are going to titrate up slowly of course. The only issue I had with the trial was that it was the standard dosage for a trial, but still too high for my body. For a day or two I was very dizzy and unable to walk a straight line...I couldn't before with the RSD, but this was the walls keeping me from falling, one foot on the floor when I closed my eyes, etc. That lasted a couple of days at most and the pain relief lasted another day or so before it started to return.

For me it was wonderful and well worth having the implant procedure. They will be removing the battery and lead wires to my spine as the SCS stopped working again. The stim was not as effective these past few years and to have the battery replaced evey year was additional proedures I didn't want with the RSD. I cannot remember to charge my cell phone so the rechargable battery was not a good idea for me. After so many times it goes completely dead the wires have to be replaced as well, according to the Medtronics rep.

Take care everyone!
Bonnie1014 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote