View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Confused Questions about this link

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Niacin (in the Niaspan) does raise blood sugar.

here is a link with more detail:
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/v...-b3-000335.htm
But in your case, I do think the Niaspan may be a culprit, as this is well documented.
I read this link with interest because my DW used to take Niaspan for high cholesterol, and now takes timed-release niacin (because it costs less than 1/10th as much).

Unless I missed something, all I see on that link is the statement:
Quote:
However, niacin may also raise blood sugar levels, which is particularly dangerous for someone with diabetes.
(emphasis of operative word mine)

"May" doesn't sound like "well documented". Is there anything more definite/conclusive?

Also, the first paragraph of that section on Diabetes is:
Quote:
Some evidence suggests that niacinamide (but not niacin) might help delay the time that you would need to take insulin in type 1 diabetes. In type 1 diabetes, the body's immune system mistakenly attacks the cells in the pancreas that make insulin, eventually destroying them. Niacinamide may help protect those cells for a time, but more research is needed to tell for sure.
Doesn't/wouldn't that suggest that niacinamide (but not niacin) would actually have the effect of lowering blood sugar levels?

Another statement early in the article also puzzles me.
Quote:
All the B vitamins are water-soluble, meaning that the body does not store them.
But most of us here are taking high levels of B12, which we're told is stored by the body in the liver. That same site contradicts itself by saying exactly that in its article about B12:
http://www.umm.edu/ency/article/002403.htm
Quote:
Definition of Vitamin B12:

Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin. Water-soluble vitamins dissolve in water. After the body uses these vitamins, leftover amounts leave the body through the urine.

The body can store vitamin B12 for years in the liver.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote