View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 12:50 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

This is probably pre-mature, but..today was day 4 of drinking about 6 ozs of grapefruit juice 1/2 hour before morning meds

I stuck to my regular med regimen..no Zandopa today

I had one day that I was on for an extra 4 extra hours, the other 3 days I went off at about 6:30 - 7:00 pm..Usual off time begins at 5:30 - 6:00 pm

What is different the past few days, especially today/tonight is I started to get dyskinetic at around 6:00 pm, and meds began to wear off..By 6:30 I was off..At 7:30 I got dyskinetic again, which is very rare for me..When the dyskinesia stopped, I was in a semi on/off state..No shuffling, a minmum of freezing episodes, and I could walk fairly well..It is 11:45 now, and I have more movement than usual..Im not on, but Im not off like I usually am at this time of the night

Last night I had a similar experience, only it didnt last as long

Through the past 2 years, since Ive been on Stalevo, my on/off time was pretty predictable..Meds at 7:00 am, and on 45 minutes to one hour later

2nd dose at 10 am..3rd dose at 1:00 pm..Off between 5:00 - 6:00 pm..and when I went off, I stayed off..I cant take 4 doses of Stalevo, because all I get is 2-3 hours of non stop dyskinesia

Now, Im not very well versed in science, chemistry or biology, but I do know that the amount of medication that is absorbed, in the small intestine, and avoids geting metabolized, basically has alot to do with the amount of l-dopa that reaches the brain

I also know from experience, that what I ingest into my gastro system, prior to taking my morning meds, has alot to do with the amount of time it will take for my pd meds to kick in, and how much dyskinesia I will endure to get there

I have gerd..( acid reflux )..and I was taking 20 mgs of Omeprazole every morning with my pd meds, and I would shake and bake for 45 mins to an hour before my meds kicked in

Then, I happened to find and read a clinical study online one night, and it said that the patients were told not to take any anti-acid meds with their pd meds, because the two drugs will compete for absorbtion, and the anti-acid drug usually wins..When I stopped taking Omeprazole in the morning, and took it at night after my pd meds had worn off, the morning dyskinesia was minimal, and occasionally, I had none at all

Anyway, I am going to continue the grapefruit juice every morning, and see what happens
moondaughter (12-10-2011), RLSmi (12-08-2011), Ronhutton (12-08-2011)