View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 01:26 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Snuffie,

First, you need to get a life outside roller derby. Really, you do.

Second, you have a serious case of Post Concussion Syndrome. You need lots of time to heal and start understanding how your brain reacts to stress and impacts before you return to the rink.

I will take a stab at you situation. I bet this is by far not your first concussion. I bet you have had many but this is the first one with prolonged symptoms. Add to that, you have been suffering multiple sub-concussive impacts per game or training session.

A sub-concussive impact is an impact to your head that does not manifest any immediate or near term symptoms. Because of this, they go without the slightest bit of recovery time.

Sub-concussive impacts can be far more dangerous than a full concussion. They can happen in quick succession, like 5 to 10 times during a session. They have been studied extensively in football and soccer. They lead to serious long term consequences, especially when the athlete reaches their mid-life years, 40 or so.

You sound like a woman by your writing style and name. If this is the case, you need to be very careful about any impacts to your head from just before your period to just after your period. This is when your progesterone is at near zero. This chart shows when progesterone is low. http://sprojects.mmi.mcgill.ca/menst...hysiology.html

I wonder if women who do not cycle due to exercise and such have even longer times of zero progesterone.

The importance of progesterone is its neuro-protective value. The brain is much safer during high progesterone time.

Some advise for the future. Anytime someone suffers a concussion, they need to avoid any risk of a head impact until they are 100% physical symptom free for at least a couple weeks. If not, they risk second impact syndrome. Persistent head aches are a good sign of being at risk.

When the brain can not regulate intracranial pressure, head aches are more prevalent. This is when a second impact can cause a life threatening increase in intracranial pressure. This over-pressure tries to push the brain out the back of the head above the cervical column.

Now, for your current condition. You are likely suffering from Multiple Impact Syndrome from either multiple concussions or multitudes of sub-concussive impacts. This leads to longer and longer recovery times with even less recovery after each subsequent concussion or sub-concussive impact. You next concussion will likely cause twice the intensity of symptoms from the same or less impact force.

So, you have some serious thinking to do. Don't strain yourself. Anxiety is not good for recovery. Rest, minimal stimulation, no alcohol or caffeine, and get good sleep and nutrition.

And please, don't complain if you suffer another concussion. Your current condition will make you more susceptible to them due to a decrease in reflexes and coordination.

Your league should outlaw any hits to the head by elbows, shoulders, or helmet to helmet, etc.

If you don't believe the intensity of my comments, watch the Harry's Law episode from this past week. It does a good job of showing court testimony about the risks of concussion. The episode from 11/30 is called Head Games. Maybe someone you know TIVO/DVR'd it.

I tried to find it online. It has not been released yet. Watch for the next episode that will show the law suit going on.

Let us know how you are doing.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote