View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 03:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

So sorry you are joining us!

I was in a car accident 10 months ago and I'm still working to rehab my brain. I was working full time & going to grad school in the evenings. I spent the first 3 months doing absolutely nothing, laying in bed or the couch and watching tv or doing some very light reading.

My neurologist didn't really get PCS and I wasn't getting any better. Someone suggested our university's medical center that has a concussion clinic. Here are my suggestions:

1) I agree 100% with Mark, thinking about even "minor dings" is important when it comes to your current condition. I have had 3 concussions in the past 3 years. (2 work related, 1 in the accident). Each time the PCS was worse/longer lasting. I'm sure there are other times I've taken a hit to the head and didn't feel anything. But all those little ones add up, as I've learned after the past 10 months.

2) Have you considered taking a leave from your schooling? School is very stressful and it adds a TON of added stimulation & stress. (Stress is the WORST thing for your recovering brain!) I have been on leave for my Master's program since the accident and am hoping to start up again this summer, as I'm still not ready to start this spring. I couldn't have made the progress I have, without completely stopping school and work.

3) Sounds like you really struggle with the computer. How's your vision? I was referred for a developmental eye evaluation in which I learned that I had lost some of my vision in my left eye and my eyes were struggling to work together, making my brain work really hard to try to "see" reality. He referred me to vision therapy and I now have glasses that help make reading and computer stuff easier because they have an anti glare function, as well as magnification.

4) Does your nausea get worse when you move your head around, or your body is moving or in the car? If so, you may have some things off with your vestibular (balance) system. I have been doing rehab for this as well. It has really made my life much more bearable by taking away some of the dizziness and most of the nausea. It really has improved my level of functioning.

5) I also second Mark that you should have your neck evaluated. I have been doing PT for this as well. This has also helped my PCS symptoms.

Hoping you can find some relief soon! We're here for you! The rest of the world doesn't "get it", but you won't find anyone here who won't understand your struggles.
SmilinEyesMs305 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote