View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 03:40 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfrog View Post
I haven't experienced anywhere near this level of anxiety, but I've definitely had some anxious stretches (mainly early on in my recovery). I actually had a panic attack in the middle of the night that my girlfriend had to talk me through by phone. That had never happened to me before.

On a general level, I would say do anything and everything that helps you calm down, rest, and relax - even if it's just 5 or 10 minutes here and there to start. Think small steps. The main thing is learning (it can take practice - be patient) to get yourself into a state that allows your brain to heal.

A few things that have helped me include keeping the lights off or low, taking a hot bath, lying down on the couch or in bed for 20-30 mins (in comfortable clothes or PJs under a blanket or duvet), meditation, going for a walk outside, listening to some calming music for 15-20 mins, getting some fresh air (even by opening a window), getting some exposure to natural surroundings or green space (again, even through a window), making something simple to eat, minimizing caffeine and sugar intake, talking to a friend or significant other in person or by phone.

Note that one of the threads running through these strategies is keeping stimulation levels low as much as possible.

And patience - recovery can proceed very slowly and take weeks, months or years.
VERY GOOD ADVICE!!!!!!!!!
I'm normally on the Thoracic Outlet Syndrome forum but this post caught my eye due to the fact that I too have suffered some pretty awful post surgical anxiety/depression. I have managed to steer clear of meds ( which the doc was all too quick to try and throw at me). Instead I opted for the self-help option. I managed to get my doctor to refer me to do CBT ( cognitive behavioural therapy) it enables you to find techniques that are suited to you and your interests to work through your struggles. Basically you set yourself daily goals and make a plan of action/activities to which you try and commit to so that the focus comes away from the issue that is troubling you. Try anything that you personally find relaxing and soothing and then ensure that you allocate some "me time" to do the chosen activity.
The dark doesn't last....... find your light, be it meditation, music, gentle exercise, helping others even?????? Whatever it takes to make you feel calmer/lighter..... but remember: its up to you to walk towards it!
BEST WISHES to all!!!!!!!
SD38 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (12-14-2011)