View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 03:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragons View Post
Hi,

I had bilateral venous occlusion in both axillary veins. My symptoms first appeared when lifting weights. My L arm was affected first in 2006. My R arm jumped on board in 2008. Up until my R arm was affected I was on coumadin for 9 months due to failure of a venogram in my L arm. Once my R arm became occluded (originally was being treated at the VA), I was sent to the Cleveland Clinic. A few venogram failures later on my R arm and I was running out of options. I had my 1st rib resected on my R arm in January of 2009 followed up by successful venoplasty! I have had zero issues with my R arm since! L arm... I had 1st rib resected in January of 2010, followed by unsuccessful venoplasty. I have developed some sever scar tissue restrictions. Over all I have pretty good drainage, due to extreme collateral flow, and other then intermiten numbness and tingling. Problem- I was love to lift weights and exercise and most of my issues are exercise induced. My vascular surgeon told me to keep hitting the weights and exercising, since forcing blood through, will over time increase the collateral flow and possibly get to a normal level. I kind of doubt it, but I want to believe it since that what I like to do. Over the past 4 weeks or so I have noticed some increased swelling in my hand and redness. Also, my L arm, shoulder, and axillary area, is somewhat bigger than my R side. The scar tissue I can tell is getting worse, and I am just trying to figure out what my options are both short term and long term complications. Thanks
I don't disagree that exercise would increase your blood flow needs and therefore stimulate collateral circulation, but I would never have suggested weightlifting as the means to do so. Weightlifting can increase tightness and hypertrophy, both of which are awful for TOS.

I think your best option is some kind of consistent cardio, like walking. If you do a brisk pace, also known as power walking, do not forget to bend your elbows or you can injure yourself further. As I did. You can google for "power walking tips" and such for more info.

If winter weather is interfering, there are indoor walking DVDs by Leslie Sansone which are nice to follow along with. They include side stepping, kicks, etc. to get the heart rate up.

I also have problems with exercise and have to do take precautions such as incrementing my program very slowly and finding arm positions that work better for me.

Also, I've read from more than one source now not to do deep dips. PT people have stated that this is bad for the shoulders due to compression. Another thing that is awful for TOS.

HTH. Good luck.