View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
There is a LONG thread on PN about this. Take a look.

The R-stablized form is far more absorbed, meaning less is needed, and it works far better-- it is water soluble unlike the original Alpha. The original alpha needs very high doses to work, and 1/2 of it is not biologically active. Why use that when the new form is so good?

Melody, you've been around a LONG time... you KNOW that local stores don't usually have what we use here, and if they do, like GNC they charge over double the value for them.
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ht=lipoic+acid
I had been using R-lipoic 100mg daily but it wasn't stabilized form. That thread explains why the stabilized is superior. We all learn new things daily.

Besides the sales people in stores know basically nothing IMO.
They are not medical people and only want to sell you "something".
GNC is notorious for being overpriced for anything you get there.

Yup, I chalk my lack of remembering stuff to LOTS of stress in this family right now. But I'm dealing with it.

I'm getting it from Amazon today. Can't wait

And guess what else I learned. That when you get Levemir from the company (and it comes refrigerated naturally), it works BETTER than when you get a sample from the doctor. (even if that sample was refrigerated.)

Got my first batch yesterday (brand new prescription and my first one for Levemir). When I was using the doctor's samples I was getting 150 in the morning, 133 in the morning, and I could not understand why. The pen had not expired but who really knows when it's passed from sales rep to physician, right? So while I wasn't getting tremendously high numbers in the am and during the day, I knew something wasn't quite right.

So got the new shipment yesterday. Ate exactly what I eat all the time. Don't cheat. And this morning my number was 106. I was never so happy to see a 106 in my life. Now that I can live with.

So I now take my 19 units at bedtime. I want to get as close to the 100 in the a.m. and better post prandials during the day.

I go back to Cornell in January so we shall see.

I probably could go back on orals but they did such a job on my gastro system and I have NO problem with the amount of insulin that I take so why not leave things the way they are.

I let my sprouts take care of the rest of me.

Thanks for all the good input Mrs. D.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (02-23-2012)