Thread: Methadone
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 05:49 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Methadone

Ok, so I now that there are varying opinions on this medication, and I myself had a bias against it until very recently reading more on the topic.

However, my pain management doc just switched me to Methadone from Oxycontin ER. I had gotten unsatisfactory relief from OxyContin ER 80mg every 12 hours, and the doc presented two options. The first option was to increase the Oxycontin to 3x a day from the 2x a day which likely would have done the trick. HOWEVER, as we recently agreed to settle my work comp case leaving me responsible for paying for my own medications after this month, the Oxycontin is way out of my budget. (The cost of a monthly supply taking them twice a day exceeded $500, so I can only imagine how much it would be to take them three times a day!!!)

OR, the second option was to try the Methadone, which as the doc pointed out
(and as I've read here and elsewhere) can relieve nerve pain as well, since it acts with ALL pain receptors in the brain rather than one or two...AND it is significantly cheaper than the Oxycontin...(about$25/month!)

So...very slowly we are progressing...He began me on 5mg three times a day,
for one week, then said he will likely need to increase it at least once, to 10mg three times a day...

So it is now beginning the 3rd day of Methadone

My dosing so far has been:

Friday evening 6pm
Sat AM 2am
Sat 10am
Sat 6pm
Sun 2am

And this is doing absolutely nothing for the pain at all. I've also been experiencing some nervousness and restlessness, mild insomnia, some chills, and a feeling I can only describe as what I imagine Restless Leg Syndrome must feel like- like I need to keep stretching my legs and rolling my ankles....
Are these typical side effects of the methadone, OR are they more likely a withdrawal of sorts from the Oxycontin or both?

I also have Percocet 7.5/500 for 'breakthrough' pain, but since the Methadone isn't touching the pain yet, I've been taking the Percocet about every 4 hours, and it's not helping much either.

Any thoughts?
72daywmn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote