View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 02:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkatamari View Post
Hi everyone, I had a question I was wondering if I could get some input/answers to.

I'm on 50mg of Tramadol right now for chronic back/leg pain due to several issues including a herniated disk. The tramadol was prescribed by my pain management doctor, but for now I am just under the care of my primary. Anyhow, I am allowed to take 2 tablets at a time for 100mg, as long as I don't go over 6 tablets in 24 hours.

I get some help from this medication, but it mainly only helps with what I call my 'normal' aches and pains. Basically, it helps with all of the chronic pain I have had for years, but not the severe pain I have that just recently started last December. I was on a lowish dose of Hydrocodone before this, and it actually helped LESS. It made me loopy, but I still felt awful physically!

My question is basically, what would be other options to discuss with my doctor? I have an appointment, but I like to have an idea of what I want to say before I go. Right now I am just feel like I can't take the pain, even with the Tramadol. I've also tried anti-inflammatories like Naproxen, but it has about the same effect...though I had awful side effects with the Naproxen. (Acid reflux/stomach stuff.)

So what would be the next step or alternative? A different narcotic? A higher dose of what I am currently on? Or is there a different type/class of medication that may help? Any info is appreciated!

I have had back/leg pain for many years and have actually had a spinal fusion and am still on some heavy pain meds. However, I do injections which help me a lot. They don't help everybody, but help a lot of people and have helped me. I am what is called C2 pain meds. which is Dilaudid, and Morphine. Those help me very much and don't leave me loopy but I am also on a lot of seizure meds. and I have had a spinal fusion. There is an anti-inflammtory called Lodine, and GOSH does it work wonders without side effects!
Just a quick input for you, hope it helped:-)
michelle.l.flowers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote