Thread: MG and epidural
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 07:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewcole View Post
Hi everyone,
I was diagnosed about a month ago with MG. Trying to get my meds at the right dose. Now my question is, I have been having issues with back and leg pain. My doc ordered a MRI. He is suggesting an epidural for my back pain.
I have known 4 people who have had one, and they all said they wish they wouldn't of had it. My pain goes through my right buttock all the way down my leg into my foot. It is a very intense pain. I go see my doc tomorrow and I am supposed to let him know my decision.
I think I would rather take a pain pill rather than have a needle stuck in my back. Does opiates have a negative effect on MG, does anyone know? I am very nervous about this. I appreciate any input..
Thanks
Don't be afraid to have the epidural. I also have MG and herniated a disc. I had been through all the OTC pain pills and opiates. The pain was exactly as you described. The only thing I found that really worked were the epidurals. I was terrified the first time but it is nothing to worry about - I have had 4 in one year and as long as you have a doctor who is very skilled and does this fluoriscopically you have nothing to worry about. The patients who have pain going down the leg seen to get the most response from the epidurals as compared to those with just back pain. If a little of the cortisone leaks systemically it's not going to hurt your MG at all - you might benefit from it. I have no side effects from the epidurals. Good luck to you and hope you get relief.
robocar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote