View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Stacy,

You're right about the non-heme iron in plants... ie spirulina. But I would still caution men or anyone with iron overload to be sure to just take the recommended dosage and not exceed that dosage for any long period of time. Would that sound reasonable to you?

I also agree that many people probably have dealt with some form of undiagnosed thyroid issues from all the toxicities in the air and water.... the radiation from various sources.... and the mercury fillings and supplementation with fluoride only exacerbate the likelihood of occurrence. I don't recommend fluoridated toothpaste to my patients and there are so many better substitutes out there that contain healthier ingredients.

I have noticed more and more with my female patients particularly those in their 40's and 50's who are being treated for thyroid disorders. It certainly would be helpful if their physicians thought to mention the correlation between toxicity and thyroid disease. But once again, nobody wants to stand out from their peers and shake up the apple cart.

Mini implants replacing molars is not always a given. It is usually decided on a case by case presentation. I believe it can be done in most cases but only after proper evaluation of the patients natural bite, their other dentition, as well as their oral and physical health.

When speaking to your surgeon about the extraction... it is wise to let him know that you've been doing your homework and "expect" the periodontal ligament and all necrotic bone to be removed thoroughly during the extraction. Believe it or not, there are dentists (some surgeons as well) who do not think these steps are necessary.... I have no idea where they've come up with this thinking but I see it all too frequently. Also, you should discuss bone graft materials with him as it is usually best to place a bone graft in the socket at the time of the extraction.... providing the bone is healthy enough to accept the graft.

Please let us know the outcome of your consult! Good luck!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygirl7 View Post
Hi Bryanna: I take both chlorella and spirulina. Spirulina lacks a cell wall, and the cell wall of chlorella is what binds heavy metals like mercury, so if you want to detox from mercury, you need chlorella. The amount of iron is small, like 1 mg per serving. No concerns there. I hear that a lot, and I don't know why it got that reputation. Spinach has more iron than chlorella.

Plus, let's consider that plants have non-heme iron, which is less bio-available anyway. That, of course, is the issue with spinach--it has iron, but it also has oxalates (unless cooked) and the iron is non-heme.

Spirulina is great for your immune system overall and has protein, too. Good for your thyroid as well, which a lot of people are probably sub-therapeutic on thyroid and are undiagnosed. AND this raises the issue of fluoridated water and how fluoride is super bad for your thyroid, so that's a reason spirulina is good for anyone drinking fluoridated water.

I was sort of ruling out an implant for my upper molar, but I've read about the mini-implants, and with the possibility of a zirconium or titanium implant, I'll ask about it. That would be nice! I go tomorrow for the consult. It seems like such a big deal to remove the tooth, but then I realize that the roots are less than an inch long, so it's really quite small. I will ask him about burring out about 1 mm of boney socket to make sure to get all infection removed. Sounds like a good doctor, though, with a DDS and an MD degree. He probably knows all about that! After having too many bad dentists (obviously!), I have to be vigilant.

Stacy
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote