View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 10:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Is it neurogenic TOS?

Hello everyone, new to the forums. Let me tell you my story and get your opinions. This past summer I have started having trouble with my right arm. When I would lay down to sleep on the right side, my arm would start aching, I mean a deep, dull ache that wouldn't quit. Previously I have been diagnosed with degenerative disc in the lumbar area, so I assumed my arm pain was the degeneration moving up to the cervical area. On November 2, 2011 I woke up in pain in my right arm. It was a constant ache that would not go away. Also, I kept dropping everything that I tried to pick up with that hand, the hand and arm was weak as well. I went to the doctor on the 4th and he gave me pain meds, steroids and muscle relaxers. The pain got better 2 days after starting the steroids, but as the dosage tapered the pain returned. The pain was not as bad in the beginning, but it still ached whenever I did something with that arm. Also, behind my shoulder blade hurts, my neck on that side hurts and I constantly have a neck headache on that side. I was sent to a neurosurgeon, did a cervical MRI (which was normal) and had more good days than bad. I have not worked since October 30 of this year due to this pain. I have noticed that I am having more bad days than good now, I will have 3-4 bad days and 1-2 good days. M pain is worse when I have my arm away from my body, such as riding in a car and having the arm on the armrest. I was originally told that it was suspected brachial plexus injury, but no EMG was done to confirm. I noticed this evening that the pain came back on when I washed my hair tonight. I am not constantly in pain most days, usually at night or if I have been cleaning my house and using the arm alot it will hurt. I'm not sure if I have TOS or not, but the symptoms from everything I have read seem more consisten with this diagnosis than with brachial plexus injury. I am still taking Naproxen and pain meds and muscle relaxers, but nothing is really helping.

My symptoms are:
Dull, achy pain in right arm down to my fingers (esp ring and pinky finger)
Positional pain (feels better when I hold my arm against my side)
Numbness
Neck and shoulder ache
Constantly have to wake my hand up (squeezing my hand together a few times)
Weakness
Increased pain when doing stuff overhead or really active
Can't sleep in my bed or flat on my back
Hurts when turning my head to the right side
Progressive pain (getting worse as time goes on)
Have started feelings twinges of pain in other arm as well

Any help would be appreciated, also if you know of any doctors that specialize in this diagnosis in NC would be appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post. Thoughts and comments would be most welcome, because at this point I just wish they would cut the arm off. I am tired of hurting and I am so tired of taking pills. I don't usually complain much about pain, but when my hubby saw me crying because I hurt so bad I think he finally understood that I was in pain. Also, how do you exlain to someone how bad you are hurting.
tara505 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote