View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 05:27 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Max - I've been meaning to write you. Saw a video on odd bicycles. Supposedly, the first bike was similar to today's but had no pedals and was meant as an aid to walking. The bike bore the weight and the person propelled and balanced with leg power. Struck me as ideal. Instead of a wheel chair and muscle atrophy, a trike sans pedals would be stable but would exercise the legs. One might use it part of a day for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max19BC View Post
I was diagnosed with PD in 2001. I'm doing OK, still can live on my own and will do so as long as I can. My walking is fine when my meds/ herbs are working, but when I get up in the morning (unmedicated) or when my meds wear off before my next dose, I end up doing baby steps and my balance is scary. I have a couple of store brought walkers, but they don't help that much, my legs freeze up when I try to use them. I haven't found anything on the market that's between a walker and a wheelchair, so for the past couple of years, I've been trying to make a walker that can support my weight as I'm walking. Here's a mini-video on my latest attempt:
Go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN4daQWkQKg
or try typing in "A new kind of walker"#2 on You-Tube
I'm currently modifying this one so I can take it outdoors too. I don't have a video of it yet. But the modified walker #2 has inflatable mountain board tires, rear drum brakes, improved front suspension (for uneven ground) and I'm currently modifying the seat so it can fold out of the way, so I can use it like a walker when my balance is fine.

Enjoy life always,
Max
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote