View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 06:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
Hi Sandy,

Does your prescription say to take "as needed" or around the clock, like "every 8 hours", "3 times a day", etc.?

If it says to take it "as needed" that's fine. However, if it says to take it continuously, you should be doing that - take it however your doctor has prescribed it.

Some pain medications need to build up in your system, and then be maintained at a certain level, in order to work most effectively. It may seem the right thing to do to "tough it out" as long as possible, but then you wind up either with too low a level to control the pain, or on a kind of pain rollercoaster, with pain levels rising & falling. When the med levels get too low, it requires more medication to get back up to where it needs to be to control the pain than if you just take it as directed - even if it feels like you don't need it all the time.

So... whatever the doctor prescribes is the correct way to take it. Do not fear addiction. Pain patients who take their meds as directed rarely have addiction issues, and even then, only if they have a pre-existing substance abuse or psychological issue.

Doc
Dr. Smith,
It does say take every 4-6 hrs as needed, so I wait till I absolutely can't take the pain anymore to take it, only cuz it upsets my stomach. Believe me, after a bi lateral mastectomy, I have a very high tolerance for pain! Just kinda goes with the program, but that part of me is getting better. Final stage of reconstruction scheduled for jan 17th and i can't wait to close that chapter!! Now i have to somehow try to get in to see spine surgeon before then so if he decides a shot is needed, i will be able to lay on my tummy. After surgery, i can't lay on tummy and have to be idle for like 2-3 weeks. The problem is I'm a very active person, so sitting around is VERY HARD for me and it makes my legs go numb!! Thanks for all your advice sweet friend!!
Sandy
Just when the caterpillar was about to give up.....she turned into a butterfly <3
jade01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote