View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Ginnnie,

I agree with Stacy... a probiotic is a great idea! I suggest that everyone take probiotics irrelevant of their health status because it simply replenishes the good bacteria that is destroyed from food, stress, medications.... etc.

Yogurt is generally a good source of probiotics but only if it is home made because the commercial stuff has been processed to the max. Probiotics cannot tolerate changes or fluctuations in temperature because the bacteria will die. Most refrigerated processed foods go through various temperature changes to the point where by the time it gets on the grocery shelf, the nutritional value is very little.

If you do buy yogurt, it is best to buy the plain kind and add your own fruit because the ones with the fruit are very high in sugar. Adding your own fresh fruit will be lower in sugar.

You can buy a drink called Kefir at most health food stores which contains high amounts of probiotics. It has a short shelf life meaning it is processed quickly and does not last long. Just make sure it does not contain any sugar.

There are lots of probiotics on the market. I prefer the one called Culturelle because it is processed under strict conditions and each capsule is immediately enclosed in an individual wrapper. So it is not in contact with light or too much change in temperature. I found the best price for supplements to be at www.vitacost.com. Another one that I like is by Enzymatic therapy called Pearls. Again these are individually wrapped.

Hope this helps a bit. So glad to have you here with us Ginnie!!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnie View Post
I do eat yogurt, all kinds including the greek kind and probiotic kind. Yep It is a good thing. When all my health issues started I dropped 65 pounds and learned to eat the right way. I don't know if there is anything more I can do to help myself stay healthier, but I sure am trying. should have done better by myself years ago. thanks for caring ginnie
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote