Thread: Amitryptiline
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

Since this thread started, I too, have started amitriptyline.

I took an antidepressant--doxepin-- over a decade ago for a severe case of sciatica. And it helped.

So this past Wednesday while at my doctor's, I discussed with her my neck and back pain, which is arthritic etc and the site of my old shingles attack. Given the PN also she decided it would be worth going back to a TCA for a while.

I am only taking 10mg now at bedtime, and it has knocked me for a huge loop this week. But I am sleeping now thru the night, and my shingles right arm, neck are not waking me up like before. I am also taking a long daily nap, but all in all I do feel better, and I am hoping the sedation scales back some. Since the sleeping is better, I am not having the disturbing dreams/nightmares waking me up I was having with the pain. I can see me staying on amitriptyline for a while. The other TCA I used for about 3 yrs and then tapered off. That was when I was on midnights, and that alone was very very stressful.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote