View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 12:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postconcussion View Post
Hi!

Glad to hear that your are feeling well enough to go on a trip. A while ago there was a thread entitled "Has anyone taken a flight with PCS?" I have to paste what I wrote there because I have been having major headaches lately.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took a short flight recently and just thought I'd share how it went.

I was feeling pretty optimistic about the flight and had been reading lots of posts that say it is fine to fly.

But, I was kinda surprised at how nauseated I was and how much my headache increased.

For other headache connoisseur's out there, I got a major migrane headache, different than my usual constant daily headaches. It lasted untill a few hours after the flight.

The nausea was surprising to me, I was so happy that I didn't have anything in my stomach. I have never been sick on a plane before. And my nausea from my pcs has really improved so much. My sister said that I was gray the whole time. I literally had to close my eyes and just concentrate on breathing.

I had to take Zofran on the way back which made a HUGE difference. Please don't forget to bring an anti-nausea med with you.

I was a little claustrophobic, but it wasn't at all as bad as I imagined. I was so happy with that

And one more thing that I highly recommend is the Bose noise canceling headphones. I was hesitant to buy them because of the price, but they were a lifesaver. Honestly, they helped me so much. I was surprised at how loud the plane engines were to my sensitive ears.

Just walking through the crowds in the airport and at the security gates was overwhelming.

I know other people have a hard time with crowds and being over stimulated. If you do you should really try to get these. I think that I would have cried a couple of times without them. I kept them glued to my ears. Granted, they don't eliminate all noises, but for me they were priceless.

Best wishes
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I ended up returning them after the flight because of the cost. I remember thinking there is no way that I am ever going on a plane again for a long time... but repurchased them recently. I know it sounds terrible but I would recommend you buy them and if you can't afford to keep them take them back after your trip. I got mine from Best Buy.They are the Quietcomfort15 and around $300.Honestly I would have paid double the cost for them once I was on the plane.Speaking to the best buy salesperson, she said that literally buses of tourists get dropped off there and head straight for those headphones. I tried other pairs but there really was no comparison. Oh! and I used foam earplugs and the headphones over them for double protection!
Thanks for such a detailed trip report and I appreciate your updating it. I did see your original post and it was helpful to me. I don't eat alot anyway on planes and I'll just make sure to take some protein bars and my ginger candy which is great for nausea.

My local Sam's has some Bose headphones for $140 or so, so I am sure they are not the ones you are talking about. I don't have any MP3 player, so how would the headphones help me? Sorry to be so dense...they would just add another layer of noise protection? Wouldn't I just get a better set of earplugs?

I so appreciate everyone's help..thanks.
frzrdoor2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote