View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 01:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

That's an interesting prediction that Crosby will retire. Its certainly not out of the question, and it certainly has happened to NHL players before (Lindros, Kariya) but part of me still believes that he is young and has a lot of time to heal (maybe take another 1-2yrs off) and make a full recovery for a comeback. There have been some good comeback stories recently of players returning after prolonged recovery (Perron of St.Louis Blues and Matt Lombardi, Toronto Maple Leafs)

As a hockey player myself, out with my first concussion (about 9 months now), I have really followed the Crosby story. It has been a source of hope for me; if Crosby can return to hockey and be successful (as he was for brief period this season when he was back on the ice), then I figured it would be realistic for me as well.

I guess this has really been a wake up call; that my future in sports is very uncertain at this point. It has also got me thinking, what is too many concussions and when is it time to pull the plug on contact sports?

I realize I will not need to make that decision anytime soon as I am not near the point of starting physical exertion. For awhile, I figured since this was my first one, I would be ok to return (only after I am 100% confident that I have 100% recovered with clearance from my physician), but if, heaven forbid, I got a 2nd one, I would for sure say that's it, no more contact sports.

Just wondering what the thoughts were out there on how many concussions are too many, and when is it time to "retire" from sports? I hear stories of hockey players who have had 5+ concussions over their career and that to me would certainly be time to retire. But after just one? I guess length of recovery is also an important factor in making these decisions.
comeback_kid_11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote