View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 10:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovaxin_lab_rat View Post
I have been on Topamax for migraines since 2002. I love it! I take 400 mg a day and have no side effects except some tingling around my nose and my fingers. I take Urocit-K (potassium citrate) to counteract that side effect.

You can go to topamax.com and ready about the adverse reactions or side effects as there are many that are listed for each clinical trial that this drug was tested. It is used as an anti-seizure med as well as for migraine prevention.

I know it has been the only medication that has helped me and I have been through them all. It doesn't work for everyone and there is a dosage for everyone if it is does work. 400 mg is my dose. 375 is not enough and 450 is too much.

You have to titrate up, and the best time to start is at night. Increasing your dosage is best done at night. And it's not a good idea to cold turkey stop this drug...side effect is possible seizures. But when it works, it's a great medication!

I am just ecstatic over being migraine free for the first time in my life! It's the little things in life when you have a chronic illness....no migraines are one of the things!
Hi-Thanks for sharing your story. I also had great sucess with Topamax, but had to go way down to 25mg/day after having 2 large kidney stones. My neurologist is convinced it is from the Topamax, so now I am on Potassium Citrate 1080/day(about 2 weeks now). I can't sleep, my appetite is terrible, ( I could go on and on), but I'm wondering if your neurologist has ever made the Topamax connection or if you had any significant long-term side effects form the P. Cit (and, of course, the migrainess are back-15-20/month.)
Thanks and write back if you see this and have the time!
Jonio is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote