View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Nicole,

I don't think you are wacked at all! I totally understand your concerns and anxiety about the magnitude of your dental issues. There are a couple ways to go about getting it all done and everyone has to do what is most comfortable and affordable for them. It is up to your dentist to help you prioritize the course of treatment and provide the treatment plan to you in writing so you can see the different phases of treatment as well as the ultimate goal.

Removing teeth is an operation and there is no way around that. Each extraction takes up to a year to completely fill in with bone, longer if there are post op complications. So that can give you some idea of why the areas are still sensitive to air, food, pressure.......all of which will subside in time.

It is not unusual for "vulnerable teeth" to act up after a tooth/teeth have been extracted because more chewing pressure is being put on them than prior to the extraction. There is also a major change taking place within the anatomical structure of the jaw. So it is very common to temporarily have lingering and varying symptoms in other teeth post operatively.

The one thing that I discuss with my patients who are faced with the prospect of multiple extractions followed by partial dentures is to consider having the problem teeth in each quadrant removed all at the same time. Meaning do quadrant extractions rather than one or two teeth here and there. Doing this extraction pattern usually results in a more even bone level throughout the mouth. Have you had impressions taken for the partial dentures?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry socket girl View Post
Yes, I have an upper respiratory infection but it is just about gone. A cough that I could not shake. Sockets are starting to fill in with new gum tissue underneath. They are still sensitive to air. If I put my tongue back there at times And air hits it it is like a jolt and they are so sore when food gets in. In time it will all calm down and then it will be another extraction I think. The last molar on the right side upper is throbbing at times lately. It is a root canal tooth (they suck so bad). There is no sharp shooting pains just some throbbing at times. I am not sure if it is from the whole area healing and that being aggravated or there is a slight infection going on there. I can't eat on that side yet to see if like the last time I got a sharp pain biting down, but it is of concern. I honestly feel like my mouth is being attacked. The tooth on the bottom next to extracted 30 is a rc and that is still sensitive. No sharp pain just a little difficult to chew on feels weird and there is a weird feeling of emptiness and that tooth seems to have a big feeling. I just want to get through the holidays and then get them xrayed and see where to go from there. What else could cause the throbbing? Could it be my gums? There is no sensitivity to cold or hot. The tooth is directly above the extraction site. My bridge throbs a little also on the top same side. I have the molar an empty space and then a 3 tooth bridge. All my front teeth are healthy it is everything else. My dentist said that we can do partials not to worry or get upset it is all fixable in time. She said lets fix what is wrong and go from there. I just hate all the extractions. I get very nervous about them. My biggest fear with them is the bleeding and clotting. Once I know I have the clot and it sticks I am ok it's just knowing when to take gauze out and leave it out. I hope this is not too long and you don't think I am a wack job I just worry. I have celiac and sjourens and don't worry or think about it at all. I am checked (blood work) every 3 months for organ damage or WBC and RBC numbers. I get about 5 vials taken every 3 months and thought get nervous with the results it is not anywhere near my anxiety with teeth. Very strange.

QUOTE=Bryanna;831346]Nicole,

It is normal for the extraction site to be sensitive to temperature... food, drinks or air. I suggest that you NOT try to remove anything from the socket with your finger or anything else. Do not risk the contamination of bacteria. Some food debris is not going to interfere with the healing as it will fall out or be rinsed out. Keep rinsing with the salt water 3-4 times a day. After 7 days post op, you can rinse vigorously meaning swish the salt water in that area deliberately to clean out any leftover food. The chances of dry socket developing at this point is basically nil as the clot had already formed and done it's job.

The zpack is adequate for a slight oral infection, which you have not been diagnosed with. Do you have an upper respiratory infection or just a cold? Anytime the body is dealing with any illness, the healing time from any type of surgery will be longer because of the compromised immune system.

Hope this helps...
Bryanna

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote