View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonio View Post
I also had great sucess with Topamax, but had to go way down to 25mg/day after having 2 large kidney stones. My neurologist is convinced it is from the Topamax,
I'm inclined to agree. My neurologist (migraines only practice) offered me Dopamax, and handed me a sheet with a HUGE (literally half the 8˝ x 11 sheet) WARNING (not Caution) of kidney stones caused by this drug. This was at a time when the patent was about to expire, and the mfr. was desperate to find a new market (and argument for extending its patent/s). After investigating it further (this is literally the scariest drug I have ever been prescribed - bar none) I declined. It is the ONLY drug I have ever refused to even try, and my migraines were chronic at the time (more than 15 per month) and, on occasion, sent me to the ER.

I know it works for many people, and I'm glad they are getting relief, but I am still concerned about its longterm effects.

This thread is several years old now, but to answer its original question:
Quote:
Has anyone experienced increased suicidal urges when taking topamax?
The answer is a resounding YES. Google: topamax suicidality

Even their own website has had to acknowledge this fact:
Quote:
TOPAMAX® may cause suicidal thoughts or actions in a very small number of people, about 1 in 500.
http://www.topamax.com/tools-resourc...formation.html
Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote