View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007, 11:32 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Arrow

((((((HSIW)))))),

I'm sorry to hear about how sick Lucy has become

You might find this information helpful:

I agree, there's something fishy about the numbers that we're seeing in the news. They're saying that something like 16 animals have died. I know Menu Foods did a trial about a week ago in which 6 or 7 animals died (that's about a 20% death rate, based on the number of animals they tested). Between my local news and the people who lost animals in newsgroups that I belong to, like NeuroTalk, that's a heck of a lot more than "16" -- it's more like thousands.

I did a quick search through Google News, and it looks like there are now about three class action lawsuits started already -- one in Canada and two in the United States. There's a Yahoo-Health Newsgroup that's been formed about the class action lawsuits -- you might want to join that group and see what you can find out.

If you use the link that I posted above (
, you can find out how to post to an online database (for tracking purposes), how to notify your local branch of the FDA. I would also notify your local Attorney General's Office.

If you have any packaging or labels from the food that you gave, Lucy, keep those. Keep any sales receipts that you might have. Keep any vet bills.

It sounds like people are just now starting to pull together to figure out what to do about this. If you work together with other people that are in the same boat as you, it might help you collect your thoughts and get organized. Oh, I would also send a registered, certified letter to Menu Foods and ask how they intend to reimburse you for vet bills:

Paul Henderson
President and Chief Executive Officer
Menu Foods GenPar Limited
8 Falconer Drive
Mississauga, ON L5M 2C1 Canada

I don't know about the long-term implications of kidney failure. I had an old-old cat -- Fluffy -- that was diagnosed with kidney failure (brought on by old age, not poisoning). He lived for almost 6 years after the diagnosis. I finally put him down a week before his 22nd birthday because he seemed to be suffering too much.

I don't know what the implications are for your Lucy. I would make sure that I had a good, honest, caring vet who will keep me informed about what's best for Lucy. And hookup with as many other people are you can that are going through the same thing that you and Lucy are. Together, the burden is easier. And together, you're all stronger.

I love cats. I had 5 elderly cats up until about 8 years ago. They all died older than 16 years, except for one. I now have 3 brothers that are 8 1/2 years old. I thank God every day that my "bad feelings" about Science Diet foods 9 years ago prompted me to no longer give my pets canned cat food. They've all been eating Purina Urinary Tract dry since they were weaned from their Mother.

I wish you and Lucy the best. I hope Lucy's able to lead a long, productive, healthy life. Hugs for both of you.

Barb
moose53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote