View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 08:14 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Short fuse person right here. The shortness of my fuse should be against the law. Oh, wait, apparently it is.

Anyway, the main thing is you are willing to confront the problem, and not go into denial about it. I've tried various things over the years, and the best advice I learned from a karate master (this is paraphrased a bit)...

He told me to imagine my anger was a straight line drawn on a piece of rice paper with a writing brush and ink. He asked me if I desired to make the line shorter. I replied very much. He asked me how I would best go about it.

As an engineer I reviewed several methods in my mind, taking into account the delicateness of the paper and the composition of the ink. The master rejected every plan. So I asked him how he would do it. He told me to imagine taking up the brush again and drawing a second line next to the first, similar but longer. He then asked me how the first line now looked.

"Shorter," I replied.

Now when I feel an anger session coming on, instead of fighting it and making it worse as I used to do, I validate my feelings, tell myself that it's OK to get angry sometimes. I then try to generate a more positive thought, about anything, and place it right next to my negative thought. Since I've been using this method, my anger episodes have been significantly curtailed, in fact I can't remember the last time I really had a mad on.

Hope this helps someone.
  • MIGRAINE HEADACHES
  • INSOMNIA
  • ANGER & SELF-CONTROL (going "Frontal")
Kenjhee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote