View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 08:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

To everyone out there suffering from PCS:
I know. It sucks. I've had 2 major concussions during a college and pro hockey career. When I was in college was the worst. Everyone was going to class and hanging out and gonig to parites and playing sports but I could bearly make it to the dining hall because my head was ringing and even the slightest light was annoying. I was up for deans list at a top 10 college and my grades fell off becasue I couldn't study. I spent hours reading blogs just like this, hoping for some ray of light, looking for someone that had been through this and resumed some normal style of life. That was 5 years ago.

After each concussion I basically disappeared from life. I slept pretty much non-stop. I went from 4% bodyfat to 25lbs overweight. Felt depresssed. Couldn't get a date and wouldn't have wanted it if I had one. Didn't care about anything and had a reactive mood when I did. I lost friends (people that have never experienced PCS will not get what you're going through) and my famliy was totally freaked out.

But, with time, it passed. Everyone is different. One kid on my team was back to normal after a week. IT TOOK ME A YEAR to recover from my last concussion. It may take shorter or longer. I've spoken with many athleates and this is the general consensus. Unless you have a cracked skull or internal bleeding, the docs can't really tell you anything difinitive except the more you "rush" your return to normal life, the more likely you'll be to perminant damage. DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL. You just gotta know the next few months are going to suck and you need to rest.

Eventually you learn to manage it and ease back into life. Cognative therapy helps. Consistant healthy diet, very light activity, exposure to outdoors, and structured sched will also help. Rest, drink H20. Literally, if you're not peeing clear, you need to drink more H20.

I have some perminant damage (floaters in vision and more prone to "ADD") but I healed and now I work an extrememly high stress job and I run and work out a lot (back down to 8% bodyfat). Whatever your symptoms are, you will learn to deal with it. Once you accept your current need for healing and stop feeling frustrated about missing out on life, you'll be on the road to recovery.

This too shall pass.

hockeyplayer99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Concussed Scientist (08-09-2012)