View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 05:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycapucine1974 View Post
Hi, everybody:

I use Duragesic (fentanyl patches) 125 mcg (one 100 mcg patch and one 25 mcg patch every 72 hours) for intense chronic pain caused by generalized internal chronic RSD and I take MSIR (morphine sulfate immediate release capsules) 30 mg (one capsule once or twice daily as needed) for breakthrough pain.

I have very intense fatigue. No one knows why. My primary care doctor, my only doctor, does not believe me, but there are witnesses at my workplace who have seen me extremely tired, trying to keep my head from falling on my desk from such tiredness. I sleep about 8 hours a day, sometimes less, sometimes more.

I have some leftover dextroamphetamine tablets, which were prescribed for me in the U.S. a long time ago by my wonderful U.S. pain management doctor. I do not have access to new dextroamphetamine tablets anymore because I am not in the U.S. (French doctors look at me as if I am pointing a gun at them when I ask for a dextroamphetamine prescription renewal, even though this medication was already prescribed for me in the past by a U.S. doctor) I take a 5 mg tablet of dextroamphetamine when my fatigue gets sooo extreme I think I cannot take it anymore. I noticed the more tired I am when I take my dextroamphetamine tablet, the more effective it seems to be. I wonder why. If someone has any ideas, feel free to share them with me.

My other questions are:

-Can dextroamphetamine be taken with opiates circulating in the blood?

-Can dextroamphetamine be taken at the same time as MSIR without these two medications cancelling each other's effects? If no, how long do I have to wait, when I took one of these two medications, to take the other one? I am asking these questions because a person can be tired (thus needing ea) and in intense pain (thus needing MSIR) at the SAME time. Then what do I do?

Thanks for sharing your opinions and answers.
hello kitty!

boy, how cute it sounds to say that and mean it literally. nonetheless, the dextroamphetamine should not be a problem if taken with your breakthrough MSIR. you are taking two totally different types of drugs that as far as I know are not contra-indicated. I am on phentermine and fentora ( fentanyl) breakthrough along with the fentanyl patch. phentermine is like dextroamphetamine in that they are both amphetamines or stimulants. I am also on another stimulant for ADD which helps wake me up and keep me focused. I would not worry about taking them together.

however, it seems to me, you are eventually going to run out of them. then what can you do? I understand they help for the fatigue that comes from chronic pain and rsd. I experience the same problems. it is not the fentanyl which causes my tiredness or fatigue. rather, it is the medical condition that causes it. I think the dextroamphetamine's stimulant effects are more pronounced the more tired you are simply because you are more tired and can feel the stimulant better...if you get what I mean. perhaps you should conserve using it until you are at your worst in order to have it as long as possible.

I think I answered your questions in full as best as I can. I hope I helped clear something up for you. take care and be well. then, stay well! good luck!

Sloane
Sloane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote