View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 09:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hello, I'm sorry to hear that you are goign through this!! I don't know about the second one, but I am familiar with the MTHFR
I was diagnosed with MTHFR (Homozygous C677t- which is known to be the "bad" gene). SO I have two copies of this C677t, so I'm likely to be more symptomatic. From what I have read 40% of people test "positive" for MTHFR when tested.. that are usually asymptomatic and would never know the difference.
I have to take folic acid (4mg a day in addition to my multivitamin) and a baby asprin each day. I have never heard of the disorder causing any "brain" issues other than strokes secondary to blood clots. usually due to inability to synthesize folic acid correctly it can cause an elevation of homocystein levels in the blood leading to a state of "hypercoagulopathy" or blood clotting - like blood clots in the lungs, legs, heart attacks and strokes.. it causing anything more or other than that I am not aware of. If you have had a stroke in the section of your brain that is affecting swallowing I could see that being a cause otherwise I don't really know what the relation would be, but I don't know your full story, and I don't know the side effects other than the clotting! Good luck, I hope that helps!
bny806 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote