View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 11:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Nigel,
I am glad to hear at least you are taking glucosamine. Hang in there buddy. I know it can be so hopeless at times but think of one thing you can do each week that you could not do the week before. Last year after my fall in icu I could not even lift my head off my pillow and after eight months of complete body atrophy and just about sitting up on a sofa for almost an hour...I had had enough!! Between dizziness and pain I just kept fighting. I decided I was to young to be like this and of course work comp said they didn't want me to have PT because it may make me worse (yeah like that could happen lol). So, I put myself on my own pT routine because I have had PT three separate times and can probably be a physical therapist by now haha. I do exercise between midnight and 1 am. Crazy I know but it is the best time of day for me to do it in...and when I have less pain. I started only doing two revolutions on my exercise bike and have built up to 8 mins at 50 mph (but cut back to 6 mins because I kept getting leg pain the next morning). I then rest and start doing leg exercises while lying on my bed. It has not been easy but I do some type of exercise every single day no matter how tired I am. I have found I am now able to increase my walking and have started using one cane only!! I still do need wheelchair for longer distances but even that is getting better. I see a huge improvement in my endurance. Start out small and do the same thing for a week or until you think you can comfortably move on. If your knee won't work then work on upper thigh and ankles and arms and then once the upper thigh is stronger then just maybe your knee will become stronger. Stay positve and focused and you will succeed. As far a medicines I have not found anything in my six years that even takes half of the pain away. In the last year I noticed when I take any form of medicine (even a vitamin) my burning pain increases so I took it from God that I should get off as many meds as possible. I am down to barely nothing and will never go back on fentanyl or any opioids. I do have burning pain but I am trying to learn to control it by trying to remain stressful (hard I know but I try), I pray alot, laugh alot, and surround myself with positive people...I hate negativity. People say stupid things to me but I try not to let them get in my space or upset me. I just walk away and think they are idiots for saying the things they say. haha. Don't expect miracles in two weeks. It takes a long time but try your best each day and you will succeed. My goal is to ditch the last cane by this summer and I am fighting each day to get stronger to do so. RSD has gotten so much from my life and I refuse to let it take anymore of what little is left!!! Best of luck to you.
kathy d
kathy d is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ballerina (12-16-2011), catra121 (12-16-2011), SandyRI (12-17-2011)