View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

You'll have to trust these guys. It doesn't matter if you have an appt. in the morning. If you don't listen to this advice and, instead, go to the appt., be prepared with a "bag" to take with you to the hospital because if your doctors don't admit you, they aren't worth their degrees. And a neurologist does not have the capacity to do breathing tests and assess that. You need a pulmonologist. Those two specialties work together in a hospital on an MGer's case. If you don't have a pulmonologist, get one. A good one.

We can't say if it's MG or not but if it is, MG can be life threatening. You can literally stop breathing. They need to do MIP and MEP, not just a measly bedside spirometry. FULL pulmonary function tests (PFT's).

These guys know that I hate the ER, for a lot of reasons; however, it is the best place for someone in your condition.

What does an MG crisis feel like? It's different for everyone. During mine, I could still speak, because I hadn't been using those muscles. I couldn't breathe well, I couldn't open my eyes or lift my limbs by the time I got to the hospital. My MIP was -teens and my O2 saturation was in the 70's.

You have 640 skeletal muscles, any one of which can get weak. It "feels" like you can't use a muscle. Like you can't take a breath in or out, like you can't swallow or talk or open your eyelids or lift your head or get up from a chair or . . . . you get the idea. IT'S NOT NORMAL how you are feeling, whatever the cause. Good grief, do you want to plan your week or have your family plan a funeral? Sure, that's being dramatic but it's utter nonsense to sit at home and wait for this to somehow magically get better. I'm saying that with a lot of caring and experience.

Annie

Sue, I'm certainly not always right, even though I appreciate you saying that. I would rather MGer's err on the side of caution, that's all.

Last edited by AnnieB3; 12-16-2011 at 02:39 AM.
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote