Thread: Vitamins
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 04:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
The magnesium in mulitivits or combination products available in stores, is mostly magnesium oxide (not appreciably absorbed).

The magnesium stearate on the labels, is not absorbed. It is there as a powder lubricant for manufacturing purposes so the powder does not cake when moved thru the pressing machines.

The supplements we use on PN, are mostly not vitamins.
The Benfotiamine (thiamine) is B1 however. But the -r-lipoic is not.

Amazon has Doctor's Best products, and so does iherb.com
Swanson's has some of that brand too, at a discount. Local stores are not likely to have them, and if they do, full price would be double what the online places have.

D3 is available now in many stores. But the methylcobalamin is less likely to be available locally.

Do the R-lipoic stablized (must be this form) and Benfotiamine.
B12, a Centrum Senior formula (I use Costco's generic for this), magnesium from food. To start.
You should not need high doses of B6 other than the multivitamin.

example:
http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-B...ie-Caps/4?at=0

http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-B...e-Caps/42?at=0

One of each daily from the above.

Autoimmune damage, often becomes inflammatory, as cytokines move in when the antibodies do the damage.
Antioxidants scavage free radicals also to prevent more damage to the nerve tissue. I found that antioxidants completely removed my spider veins in my legs...when I was using them for the PN. So the antioxidants may improve your veins the same way. Some "vein" supplements contain various herbs like horsechestnut etc, but you can do the same for less $$ by using grapeseed extract. Alot of local stores have grapeseed extract, but Puritan's Pride has reasonable prices for this too.
Eating blueberries and strawberries and other foods of color, do the same thing.
Thanks, Mrs. D! I did go out and checked Target, Walgreen's and CVS. CVS had the grapeseed extract but they were out of stock. No one had the R Lipoic Acid. The lady at CVS suggested I go to a health food store, so I will check there before ordering on-line. I'd like to get started ASAP, but will definitely place future orders on-line. The B12 Methylcobalamin Form I could not find, though all the stores had B12 in both regular and time release formula. Are either of those the correct B12 or will the bottle say Methylcobalamin Form on it or is it listed as an ingredient? Just to clarify...I should take B1?
Karate Mom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote