View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007, 03:59 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thanks

Thanks for your post Everett:

What I had in mind were more subtle changes but I suppose any change in personality, outlook etc is worth considering. When I was first diagnosed I spent a great deal of time on the web, looking for information on PD. I don't do that anymore, feeling that it kept me from leading a normal life. However, from my past research experience I know there is frequently value in collecting data which initially seems unrelated but which on closer scrutiny may be related. I keep going back to my paper on the Stradivarius as an example because I know it best. I asked one simple question. When did the Maunder Minimum (a cold period in the 17th and 18 th century) start and when did Stradivarius live? Search on the web indicated that they both began life one year apart (1640 and 1641) which indicated that Stradivarius very likely used wood that grew during a cold period in Europe. I guessed that the cold period resulted in slow growing wood leading to closely spaced tree rings, denser, stronger wood (all of which was correct) and enhanced tonal quality (which was also true). This doesn't mean that I'm right about the origin of the sound of the Stradivarius but, rather, here is another point that can be considered. It opens up another avenue for research one that had not been considered before

A similar approach may be made for PD. What are the characteristics of a PD sufferer? I know they differ; my PD seems to be somewhat different from yours or Rosebuds. Identify them, classify them, get a big enough data base and analyse them using something like Factor Analysis. We have the audience (the folks who read NT). I know you started something like this last year but I haven't seen anything recently. The important thing, from my viewpoint, is to collect data without any result in mind. In other words, ask the question, but don't anticipate the answer. Let the data do the talking. It may lead to something.

Time to go home.

All the best,

Lloyd

All the best,

Lloyd
burckle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote