View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 08:29 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Wow..
So can you get dry sockets with this? How do you stop the bleeding usually it is from biting down on guaze. Wow that side of the face is getting beaten up. Uggg. It sounds really scary because you have these open wounds in your mouth and you are covering them and not able to see them. Doesn't the blood run all around the partial? I think I will have an anxiety attack from that. Does the pressure of the partial aid in the clotting or do you still bite down on guaze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Nicole,

Before the extractions are done, your dentist will take impressions of your mouth and send them to the dental lab to make a partial denture. So it will be ready for the day of surgery.

There are a couple of ways to have this done.

1) The partial denture can be delivered to the oral surgeons office. He removes the teeth and places the partial denture. You keep it in until you see your dentist the next day. She will remove it and make some adjustments. You will wear it most of the time for about 2 weeks... may have to go in to see her for some adjustments in that time period.

2) The partial denture gets delivered to your dentist. You see the oral surgeon for the extractions and then go to your dentist immediately after the surgery. She puts in the partial and the regimen is the same as above.

The partial denture will not interfere with the clotting. It actually prevents anything from disturbing the surgical site. The clots are up inside of the sockets, the partial sits on top of the gum.

A transitional partial (that's what it's called) is made of an acrylic material, no metal. The fee depends on your location. This partial is worn for several weeks or months (depends on the individual case) and then another partial is made which may be made out of metal and acrylic. You would need to speak with your dentist about what she would have the lab make for you.

I hope this information helps. Sounds like you have a very supportive husband ;-)

Bryanna

[/QUOTE]
Dry socket girl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote