View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 01:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfri1003 View Post
Hi, I was officially diagnosed with RSD by the Chief of Vascular Surgery at LIJ in NY. I had ACDF C5-6 C6-7on 12/10/2010. I was technically better after my surgery. At 8 months post op I really didn't have any pain or problems. My ROM was very good, but there was still room for improvement. Only had muscle spasms once in a while and my strength was still improving. I was so pleased setting up my classroom at the end of August. My situation took a nose drive after being rear-ended on 9/2/2011. I went back to the OSS for my 1 year check. He said that with PT I should still get back more ROM and hopefully the spasms, knots and pins and needles will decrease, but that it could take anywhere from 3 more months to a year. After a total of 2 years from the surgery date, he said that would probably be it.
I went to the Chief of Vascular Surgery at a well known hospital "Long Island Jewish Hospital" I brought all of my prior testing reports from a year prior to the surgery up to the present. He looked at the EMG I had prior to the surgery. He said that those results ruled out TOS. I asked if the trauma of the surgery and car accident could cause the TOS and he said no. That answer surprised me. I have read that it could. But who am I to second guess him. He did a few tests, took my pulse on ankles, wrists, arms, neck and movement of my arms and neck. He said I was positive for Addison only on the left. My fingers, hand, toes and feet were very cooperative. Hands turned bright red and ice cold and then red and hot and sweaty. My toes were so blue it almost looked like I painted them with blue nail polish. They did not turn red and hot, but I had a picture of one foot bright red and the other one gray to ashen. There are times my hands and feet hurt without doing anything or touching anything. That is also a symptom of RSD. He feels that it is definitely RSD. Not much can be done about it from what I have read. Only thing that was mentioned was calcium channel blockers. Still need to research that.. I did not ask all of my questions because I lost my focus. I plan on writing down more questions and try to get him on the phone to ask my questions.
If anyone has any suggestions PLEASE let me know. Still trying to process what this means for me and my future.
Sorry I rambled so much.
Happy Holiday to all.
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that, your appt didn't go much better than mine did. I wrote to you on other posting. I was hoping i had. It seems we are never to be finished with all this crap! I am in the same mental place as you, trying to understand what it all means, what to do, and how to gain function and quality of life back a bit more.

I wish you a very happy holidays, and some relief in the new year to us both.
Take care,
Cathie
cath1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote