View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Nicole,

You can get a dry socket anytime you have an extraction. Do partial dentures cause dry sockets, no. Are you more likely to get a dry socket if you wear an immediate partial, no.

There is always some oozing of blood after an extraction. Yes, sometimes it does ooze a little over the side of the partial, but sometimes it doesn't. The oral surgeon may be able to suture the wounds closed, it depends on your particular situation. The partial acts like a bandade and covers the wounds completely. You will have to be careful not to chew or bite down on that side of your mouth for several days.... but you would have to do that anyway after an extraction.

Nicole, you don't have to have an immediate partial denture made and put in right away. You were concerned about your appearance and that's why I suggested the immediate partial. You could have it made later on if you preferred to do it that way.

I know it sounds scary but it is done all of the time and most people, even the very anxious ones, generally do really well with it!

For now... please try to calm down... you are imagining the worst and those thoughts are taking over the positive ones. Your stress is so elevated and that is slowing down the healing process. It's all going to be ok......

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry socket girl View Post
Wow..
So can you get dry sockets with this? How do you stop the bleeding usually it is from biting down on guaze. Wow that side of the face is getting beaten up. Uggg. It sounds really scary because you have these open wounds in your mouth and you are covering them and not able to see them. Doesn't the blood run all around the partial? I think I will have an anxiety attack from that. Does the pressure of the partial aid in the clotting or do you still bite down on guaze?
[/QUOTE]
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote