View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi there.

Yes, I take Cymbalta. I anxiously awaited the release of it because of the fibromyalgia. It's supposed to be good also for a few other problems that I can't remember at this time.

So I've been on it since it was released. I started slowly as I get pretty nasty reactions to a lot of SSRI's, though I know this isn't just an SSRI and is similar to Effexor...which I hated when I took it!

I started on 30 and eventually made my way to 90 mg/day. My doctor initially said that you had to get up to 60 mg for it to be helpful with the fibro. After awhile he bumped me up to 90 because the reps said that further testing showed that the pain relief was more effective at 90 mg.

Last year or so I started having problems with more depression than usual and even 'suicidal ideation'. I began to think it may be one of the meds I was taking. I stopped taking Ambien, mostly because for some reason it makes me sweat like crazy but also because I suspected it could be part of the reason for the problems.

Then I decided to drop my Cymbalta down to 60 mg/day. Since doing that, my depression let up quite a bit, and also the suicidal thoughts mostly went away. So if that is the reason, I couldn't possibly tell you.

I do think that it's helped with the fibro. Not entirely, but has helped. When I dropped on the doseage, I noticed very very familiar fibro things that I hadn't had in quite awhile! That evened out though. My fibro still clings to my life, but I do think all in all it's helped at least a little.

My main concern about it is if/when I decide to go off it. Being so similar to Effexor is why it concerns me. I tried Effexor once, and when I went off it it was absolutely horrifying. So was Paxil, but I finally got off that by titrating down with the liquid Paxil a miligram at a time for months!

This probably doesn't help you, but I do take Cymbalta, have for some time, and don't plan to go off it anytime soon. I've tried so many AD's, I'm running out of ones to try!

Bruna - rescued from a Missouri puppy mill
Doody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote